Thank you guys for all the love in my previous post!! I wish I could give a mooncake to each and every one of you!
When I go savage on mooncakes at home, I just cut myself a slice with a plastic butter knife, and sit on my kitchen chair, wondering how much will I regret if I finish off the mooncake I started. When I went to TWG Tea Canada for a media tasting of their Lotus Jade Tea Mooncake Collection, I definitely felt so much classier trying out a different variety of mooncakes.
This year TWG Tea has both traditional and snowskin mooncakes; of course each mooncake is infused with a particular TWG Tea and has its own twist on your typical mooncake. The typical mooncake is the ones with a golden baked crust, lotus paste filling, and the salted egg yolk (my favourite bit.) TWG Tea launched four styles of the traditional mooncake:
- Daydream – baked red crust, blueberry inflected white lotus paste, almond and blueberry puree heart infused with Red Balloon Tea
- Cerise – golden crust, lotus paste infused with Pu-Erh 2000 Tea, white chocolate and crunchy coconut heart with Amarena cherry
- Sunset – golden crust, red bean paste with melon seeds, Matcha almond paste centre
- Constellation – golden crust, Singapore Lotus Breakfast Tea infused lotus filling with roasted melon seeds, salted egg yolk centre
We started with the Constellation mooncake. With a salted egg yolk centre and lotus filling, it is dubbed a ‘timeless favourite,’ for a reason. The roasted melon seeds gave it a nice texture that wasn’t too overwhelming.
The Daydream mooncake is definitely a unique one and it stands out visually as well. You can see the layers of blueberry filling inside. This one is a bit more sweeter rather than a savoury-sweet mooncake (if you know what I mean!)
This is the first time TWG Tea has the snowskin mooncakes and they took me by surprise, because I enjoyed them over the savoury ones, which is sort of unusual! The four types of snowskin mooncakes available at TWG Tea are:
- Moonlight – green snowskin, Lotus Jade Tea infused mousseline, white chocolate heart with sweet Nashi pear marmalade
- Blossom – orange snowskin, Geisha Blossom Tea infused mousseline, white chocolate heart with tangy apricot marmalade
- Pure – white snowskin, 1837 White Tea infused dark chocolate mousse, white chocolate heart with blackcurrant marmalade
- Illumination – black snowskin, 1837 Black Tea infused nutty praline, white chocolate heart with orange marmalade
Out of the four, we tried the Moonlight and Pure. Both were equally tasty, and for someone who dislikes white chocolate, I didn’t taste that over the top sweetness in the mooncakes at all! Also love how vibrant these mooncakes are and they make a really lovely dessert (with a cup of TWG Tea of course!!)
After our mooncake tasting, we had some light snacks to enjoy. The smoked salmon horseradish sandwich with Genmaicha was hands down the best smoked salmon sandwich I’ve had- ever. That Genmaicha tea on the top was the most perfect part.
If you’re based in Vancouver, you can find TWG Tea mooncakes at TWG Tea Canada at 1070 West Georgia Street, Vancouver.
Follow Me, Tweet Me, Befriend Me!
Disclaimer: I attended a media tasting; opinions are 100% my own.