The one product that I buy like crazy is lip balm. I pretty much have one in every corner in my room. I keep one in my backpack, one in my purse, one in my pencil case, one in my jacket…. Why do I buy so much lip balm? I really don’t wear much makeup (for some reason I have a lot of makeup though…) and my lips are dry literally 24/7. Winter, summer, spring, fall…my lips are always no matter how much water I drink. I’ve bought lip balms from a range of prices and a range of brands.
I have way too many and I think it’s time to go through what I have today!
1) Nivea Pearly Shine: This is Nivea’s lip balm that’s infused with pearl and silk extracts. If your lips are dry and cracked and you put a layer of this, it does NOT look good (on me anyway). It is quite frosty so it looks like you just stuffed your face in a giant bowl of silver paint and it got stuck on your lips. It looks (a bit) better if you put a layer of regular lip balm under. I do not use this on a regular basis a a lip balm. Instead, I use it to highlight my cupid’s bow (the upside down triangle on your upper lip.) It also stands out if you wear red lip tint/lip stick, and put some shine in the middle of your lips for a fuller pout.
Buy Nivea Pearly Shine here.
2) Maybelline Baby Lips (Quenched) : This is one of Maybelline’s newest products I got at Super Store awhile ago for $4. Shoppers Drug Mart sells it for $6.49, so be sure to check the Canadian Super Store!! I definitely got partially sucked in by the packaging. I love big bold colors. There are 4 other tinted colors + Peppermint (also clear.) I got the “Quenched” balm, which is your everyday basic balm. It’s supposed to last 8 hours, but really, when all ads say that, take off 2-4 hours from it. I have to reapply maybe every 2-3 hours, but maybe because my lips suck in moisture quickly.
It does glide on very smoothly. It has a very generic smell, so nothing special. The one downside I noticed is the white dead skin that appears on my lips after a while. Not very flattering. So I have to be careful when I apply this and check the mirror after an hour! I also forgot to mention, it has SPF 20! After I’m done this balm, I think I want to try the other flavours. Overall, it is a fairly nice smooth balm.
Buy Maybelline Baby Lips here.
3) Nivea Soothing Care : This lip balm has wheat germ oil. There are many benefits of wheat germ oil, check it out here. (I think I got a bunch of Nivea products from Shoppers one day since they were all on sale one time.) However, I didn’t find anything special about this lip balm. If I lose it, I won’t fret over it. The smell is a bit different from other balms, and it glides smoothly. Not something I would buy again.
4) Nivea Hydro Care: One of my favourites! This is my second tube. It has “pure water” and aloe vera in it. My lips feel hydrated after a layer of this balm. It’s also very affordable everywhere ($2-$3 in drug stores). It also makes a good base before applying lipstick. Will buy again (after I finish my other million balms.) However, it doesn’t last very long, and I probably apply it every 1-1.5 hours.
Buy Nivea Hydro Care here.
5) Lipice Moisturizing Lip Balm (Apple flavoured I think..) This is an Asian brand, designed by The Mentholatum Company. I bought this from Hong Kong, but you can also get these here in Candyland (Aberdeen), or Smart N’ Save (Lansdowne), or Osaka Supermarket (Yaohan.) It costs around $4.99. I also enjoy this product very much because it has a mint, tingly feeling. My mom bought a bunch of flavours from Hong Kong that I’m itching to smell/try – lemon and strawberry. It also smells delicious!
Buy Lipice here
6) Blistex Complete Moisture: This is one of my favourite lip balms. It has a cool minty, tingly feeling when you apply it to your lips. I love that feeling because it tells me it’s working! It also has SPF 15 to it. My lips feel completely moisturized and quenched. It’s inexpensive, and does the job.Sometimes the skin around my lips feel dry as well, so I dab a bit of this onto my skin, and it pretty much saved my life.
7) Espie Lip Care: My mom got this for me from Hong Kong’s Sasa. It has Vitamin E in it. It’s very very moisturizing, and it also makes your lip shiny. However, I wonder if it’s just making the top layers of my lips moisturized, or is it actually sinking in. After wearing it for half an hour, my lips still feel “wet.” It does remove traces of dryness on my lips, so I can’t argue about it.
8) Sony Cp B&C Apple Lip Cream: This was expensive, and I admit, I bought it fully for the packaging. I buy anything that has an apple shape and pattern to it.
It’s adorable! It smells adorable! It contains hyaluronic acid, vitamin A, vitamin C, and apple extract. It is a tub full of lip cream, and it makes me want to eat the whole jar. It looks very waxy, but when applied, it’s smooth enough. And it smells wonderfully fruity!! I wear this at night (alternating with Blistex Lip Medex sometimes) and my lips feel smooth in the morning. Did I mention the smell?! And the extremely cute packaging?!
The downside? It costs $11.99 for a lip cream, which is quite expensive. I got it from Shifeon (Downtown Vancouver/ Oakridge Mall.)
9) Blistex Lip Medex: This is one of my God- sent, Holy Grail Products. I got it at Walmart for $1.99? Back then, I get cold sores from stress and not sleeping enough. It was painful, but Lip Medex solved those problems! It also gives lips a tingly feeling. This lip salve is meant to for cold sores, cracked and dried lips. Although you have to dip your finger in this one, it doesn’t matter because it’s so good! I have tried the balm version before, and it leaves a yellow residue on my lips. 🙁 I wear this lip salve before bed as well sometimes, and I wake up feeling great. It lasts long.
10) Figs and Rouge 100% Organic Balm: This is an organic balm, made in U.K. and I had it ordered from feelunique. It was a bit expensive ( £5.00) but shipping is free on their site. Emma Watson( Hermione from Harry Potter) also talked about this lip balm too!
“I am obsessed with organic skincare and was overjoyed to see how beautifully packaged Figs & Rouge products are.”
Who doesn’t wish they’re not Emma Watson? As an anglophile and a lip balm lover, of course I had to try out this organic lip balm! The flavour I got was Rambling Rose and it has an amazing, light floral scent. What’s best is that this lip balm is organic! Check out the ingredients here. This balm can do ANYTHING. You can put it on cracked, dried skin. You can use it as cuticle balm or dried soles. Your skin is flaky somewhere? Put some figs and rouge on!
Buy Figs and Rouge here
Wow! That’s 10 lip balms I reviewed. Next time, I’ll share my review on Fresh Sugar Lip Treatments + Revlon Lip Butter!
What’s your favourite lip balm? Do you have any of the same ones, and what did you think? Feel free to comment below!!